Tuesday 23 September 2014

Kayaks

We came upon this little group of kayaks while wandering downstream from the Jackfield Bridge I showed in last week's ABC Wednesday.  They were practicing on a small fall of white water, the red kayak was paddling downstream but
then turned around to make another run
 meanwhile the yellow kayak was still enjoying trying to progress against the flow
 My preference over a kayak would definitely be a Canadian canoe with those reassuring life-jackets as my swimming ability is negligible.  There are quite a few hire companies offering maps, canoes and journeys of varying length on England's longest river, the Severn.  It  is the perfect vantage point to see wildlife while gently drifting through Shropshire.  One of the day trips on offer is a paddle down the river and then a return by steam train on the Severn Valley Railway which goes over the Victoria Bridge which is a similar design to 
this bridge, the Albert Edward, which today only carries coal traffic to the power station.  Built in 1864 with two tracks but today only one is used due to the age of the bridge, possibly one of the last cast iron railway bridges to be constructed.  When we were here in late August the first touches of Autumn colour had started to appear  but at this point the riverside still retained its summer green.

An entry to ABC Wednesday, a journey through the alphabet, this week sojourning at K here
          

9 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

The water looks too rough for me!

ROG, ABCW

orange said...

Do they kayak as far down river as Shrewsbury? Either way, I'd rather be on bridge just watching!

Anonymous said...

I'm a smooth sailing kind of gal but I'm sure this kind of kayaking would bring pleasure to thrill seekers!

Photo Cache said...

We are of the same mind today. I have kayak too, but yours look more adventurous than the lazy kayaking on my post.

ABC WEDNESDAY

Susan Moore said...

Kayaking looks like fun - and work - but I haven't tried it yet. I used to go canoeing quite a bit when I lived in Calgary. Love the last photo of the canoe under the bridge.

K V V S MURTHY said...

Cool pictures..!

Indrani said...

Excellent shots! I like the adventure.
Happy ABCW!

fredamans said...

I love kayaking. Wish I could do more of it. Love your photos!

carol l mckenna said...

Great actions shots for K and colorful too! Wonderful bridge shot! ~ Happy Week to you!

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)